Friday, January 20, 2012

I'm Bad at Blogging.

Hello, my name is Missy! and I'm bad at blogging. Whyyyy might you ask? I, for the first time, am mostly disconnected from the internet. Not being around the internet has allowed me the opportunity to explore other forms of communication. It almost feels like I’ve lost one of my senses and my others have amplified to compensate. In my previous life, I would be the person to respond to an e-mail 5 minutes after receiving it. If you wanted to send me a last minute request, I’d get it done. So in a lot of ways I’ve been released and am now experiencing a strange freedom. However, with new internetless freedom comes consequences: I'm not doing a good job keeping my blog up-to-date... (Maybe I'm bad at blogging because I'm too busy dancing?)

I’ve been adventuring since Christmas around Senegal as a professional third wheel with my married couple friends. Justin and Aviva came down from just north of The Gambia to my humble southern abode in Kolda. Christmas was a fantastic cooking fest with 30+ volunteers in our regional house. Hundreds of cookies and Christmas movies made for a great Christmas--hot and away from home, but great nonetheless. After Christmas me, Justin, and Aviva started our trip up north, around The Gambia visiting volunteers and learning more about our new country. We landed in the Kaolack region for New Year’s. The New Year’s adventure commenced when the 7 places (public transportation for 7 people) broke down on the bush path and we had to push it to the road. Luckily the paved road was only about a kilometer away. We were able to catch another ride and arrived at Tubacouda in the Mangroves to spend the evening with a fellow volunteer’s visiting family. It was an enjoyably relaxed evening until we got kicked out of the hotel half an hour before midnight. The owner had quite a problem with a group of americans that weren’t there for the scheduled activities; but, I assure you we were all clean, presentable, and respectable volunteers that night.


It all worked out for the best because we jumped over to another hotel which ended up being awesome. They had a drum performance that counted down to New Year’s (in true Senegalese fashion that took twice as long as it should have) in addition to fireworks! We were a large group of volunteers and we shared hugs and kisses and made many-a-phone call home before we started a dance party which lasted until 2:30 am. The new young Dutch owners of the hotel danced with us and invited us back any time. (In the above picture we're pushing a 7 Place on a bush path).

After New Year’s we got stuck in the Kaolack regional house for a few days because of a transportation strike. From Kaolack we went to Dakar to take care of some medical appointments and then down to Mbour to visit our Training Host Families. From Mbour we made it to the Thies Training Center for the SeneGAD (Gender And Development) conference proceeded by the All Volunteer Conference. The Conferences were an incredible learning experience and I was able to talk to many volunteers about current projects and possibilities of networking new projects. Yes, I still geek out about conferencing and the opportunity to organize anything.

The infamous Dakar WAIST (West African Intramural Softball Tournament) followed our conferences. Volunteers flooded Dakar from Senegal, Cape Verde, The Gambia, Mali, and Guinea to play Senegalese and other ex-pat Softball teams. It was clear that Peace Corps was just there for fun as our team themes ranged from Aqua-Corps with inflatable beach gear as equipment to Scouts armed with kickballs and Frisbees. Hopefully we were more entertaining than disruptive. Almost all volunteers got to stay with host families. My host family (with Justin and Aviva, of course, because we hardly leave each other) were placed with a family who just moved to Senegal less than 2 weeks ago with a 5 month old baby. They have been incredibly welcoming and have invited us back anytime! The evenings were filled with talent shows and parties where I was able to meet and socialize with incredibly dynamic people.

So, about three and a half weeks later I’ve traveled part of the country and feel like a much more informed and confident volunteer. I’ve spent time with two of my favorite people in country and I’m still not tired of them. And, I feel like I’m finally more settled into life here.

What’s in my near future? I’m back down at site for a week before I go back up to Thies for my IST, In-Service Training, which will last two weeks. Still much traveling and learning to come. The adventure continues!


Pictures...
















(We've got every language represented in this group of volunteers! Mande, Pulaar, Wolof, and Sereer!)
















(Me and Aviva in the kitchen of the Kolda regional house cooking for Christmas!)




















(So. Many. Christmas. Cookies.)


(Me and Justin on the roof of the Kaolack regional house)


(Walking to the Mangroves in Tubacuda)


(Adventurers of the best sort)


(Gross blistering reaction to doxycycline, my anti-malaria medication. Good news, I've switched medication!)



Meet some of my friends (that are better at blogging):
Check out the website of my very first friend in Peace Corps, Jubal Faircloth. We were on the plane together from Cincinnati to D.C.. He draws daily comics of his life here in Senegal as a volunteer. I show up in the comics more than a few times. Go to his "Comics" section and enjoy!


An admittedly bad blogger with good intentions,
Missy!

2 comments:

  1. Love to read about your adventures, Missy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear about your adventures! Sounds like you are meeting wonderful people and making great memories. You seemed to have settled in as if you've always been there. Don't worry about your blogging frequency, we'll be happy anytime we hear from you!
    Namaste!

    ReplyDelete