Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Hut-Sweet-Hut

Welcome to my new home for the next two years! I'm settling in well to my village, Salamata. I spend my days exploring the village and talking with villagers. My priority right now is to learn the language and identify needs and opportunities in my community. Sometimes I walk out to the cow fields and help milk or I go to the women's dry season gardens to figure out what techniques they are currently utilizing. It's all new and I'm surprisingly exhausted by 9:00 pm (bedtime!).

There are several trainings and conferences through Peace Corps in the coming months, in addition to holidays, so I'll be traveling a little around Senegal. I'll try my best to update when I can.













Here is my Hut-Sweet-Hut!







Left: This is a view from my front door to the back door. My water filter is by the back door and there is a tarp on the ceiling to help with leaks during the rainy season.











Below: This is my back yard! I usually have my hammock up over the green mat on the right but it's too cold to sleep outside right now. There really is a cold season! The water spot under the tree is where I take bucket showers.














Left: This is another picture inside m
y hut! My Ancien (the previous volunteer) left me the furniture. I bought a bed and had a frame built so it really feels like my space. It has such a great atmosphere at night when it is lit by candlelight.




Below: This is a view of my back yard garden/back of my hut. Yes, that's a banana tree on the left. I also have two papaya trees in my garden and three pepinieres (nurseries) for guava, cashew, and papaya trees. There's just so much potential!













Left: Annnd, here is my Douche--where I go to the bathroom. No toiletpaper here folks. That pot is filled with water and you use your left hand. Don't worry, I have soap. Also note that I have ALOE!!!





I want to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and a refreshing New Year! I'll be celebrating here with new friends making new traditions.

Warmly from Senegal,
Missy!

7 comments:

  1. Oh dear, all the formatting changed when I posted it. Sorry for the confusing captions. Enjoy the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the photos. FINALLY. It's great to see your new home. Are you going to draw more pictures on the inside walls?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas, Missy! Thinking of you as my family comes home and we get ready for the holidays. Embrace family wherever you are, do a little yoga or meditation, and be happy!

    Love,
    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. At the Durban climate talks, there's new talk of "climate-smart" agriculture for Africa. Agriculture that increases yields and carbon sequestration at the same time.

    http://e360.yale.edu/feature/after_durban_can_climate_smart_farming_help_africa_and_the_planet/2477/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your new home! Are you going to spray paint a chalkboard wall in there so you can brainstorm? Love you and miss your face.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Missy, I'm Taylor's aunt, from SW Mo. Just wanted to let you know we'll follow your blog and enjoy learning of your adventures and about the Senegal culture! Be strong... Lisa B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have any questions or topics you want to know more about, just ask! It helps me to write blogs. Thank you for your support!

      Delete